When considering landscaping for your home, it makes economical sense to think of it as an investment, something that will increase the value of your home. Homeowners in Chicago generally get their landscaping money back, anywhere from 100 to 200 percent of it, when they sell their home. Homes with professional landscaping can sell for as much as 20 percent more than comparable homes that don’t have landscaping.
Let’s see what are some Dos and Donts when it comes to landscaping.
- Do get a professional landscape architect to design plans for your property.
- Do have an irrigation system installed. Keep your investment alive!
- Do accent your design with nightscape lighting for security, safety and aesthetics.
- Do consider adding a covered patio. This will provide shelter from the rain and shade from the sun.
- Do use plants that are native to your region.
- Do fertilize your grass in the fall.
- Don’t over plant. Leave room for lawn, walkways, a deck and/or a patio along with other hardscape.
- Don’t spread your money over too many areas or projects. Spend your time and money in doing one project well at a time.
- Don’t invest too much money in an expensive pool if your Realtor advises against it, or if you can only make use it during one season.
- Don’t spend the majority of your budget on luxury items, like a pricey outdoor kitchen, that will limit what you can do elsewhere or that you will not use very often.
- Don’t attempt projects that are too much for you or that are beyond your ability. Hire a landscape contractor to grade your site and do the heavy work.
Prepare a Realistic Budget
A landscape budget is typically calculated as a percentage of your home’s value. This percentage could range from 5 to 20 percent or more, depending on your funding and how much you’d like to accomplish. Homes with pools and outdoor kitchens obviously require a higher percentage. Considering that landscaping is such a good home improvement investment you may consider spending 10 to 20 percent, but break it down into separate phases or steps.
If you’re looking for landscaping services, a professional landscaping company such as R & G Almanza Landscape Inc can help. As you can see from their website – Rgalmanza.com/chicago-landscaping, they have a team of expert landscapers who will work with you to create a beautiful outdoor space that’s perfect for your home. From lawn care to flower beds, we’ll make sure your yard is always in top shape.